It’s That Time of the Year…
After a number of leaks and rumours, Doctor Who Season 9 has been confirmed as the following entry to grace The Collection line.
The boxset sports activities new paintings by Lee Binding, and a particular newly-filmed quick has been produced to coincide with the announcement, penned by Pete McTighe and starring Katy Manning as Jo Grant:
Season 9 ran from 1st January 1972 to twenty fourth June 1972, and comprised of 5 tales unfold throughout 26 episodes. These tales are as follows:
- Day of the Daleks
- The Curse of Peladon
- The Sea Devils
- The Mutants
- The Time Monster.
This season marked Third Doctor Jon Pertwee’s third yr within the function and broke away extra from the mostly-earthbound nature of Season 8, as The Doctor and Jo discovered themselves amongst the political stress of Peladon and the Mutant-related machinations on Solos, while additionally coping with Earth-based battles with the Daleks (coming back from a seven-year absence), the Sea Devils, and The Master (Roger Delgado), whose schemes concerned escaping from jail and donning disguises in bids to invade the earth and conquer time itself.
The Collection: Season 9 Blu-ray field set additionally consists of an intensive catalogue of particular options together with:
- MAKING THE TIME MONSTER: Looking again on the Season 9 finale with Katy Manning, John Levene and extra.
- MICHAEL E BRIANT AT THE HELM: A profile of director Michael E Briant.
- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION: Katy Manning and mates revisit the filming places of Season 9.
- THE FELL GUY: A profile of prolific stuntman Stuart Fell.
- BEHIND THE SOFA: Five new Behind the Sofa episodes with commentary from Katy Manning (Jo), Peter Davison (The Fifth Doctor) Wendy Padbury (Zoe) Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Janet Fielding (Tegan), Sophie Aldred (Ace), and director Michael E Briant. They’re noticeably additionally really on sofas this time round which is sweet.
- BLU-RAY TRAILER: A model new slice of basic Doctor Who.
- MOVIE-LENGTH EDITIONS: Special repeat screenings of Day of the Daleks & The Sea Devils, beforehand unavailable on dwelling media.
- CONVENTION FOOTAGE: An opportunity to listen to from UNIT’s Nicholas Courtney and Richard Franklin, recorded in 1986.
- 5.1 SURROUND & DOLBY ATMOS SOUND for The Sea Devils (episodic and omnibus version) from Mark Aryes.
- HD PHOTO GALLERIES Including many beforehand unseen pictures.
- AUDIO ARCHIVE Featuring many unreleased gems.
- INFO TEXT Behind-the-scenes info and trivia on each episode.
- PDF ARCHIVE Including scripts, unique unseen BBC manufacturing information and different rarities from Richard Bignell.
- Previously launched particular options together with the Special Edition model of Day of the Daleks.
Based on the disc rely, it’s doubtless that we’ll be getting a number of variations of sure episodes a la Colony in Space for Season 8, the place the previous restoration was included alongside the brand new. It’s nice to see one other Pertwee season enter the ranks and it’s simply as nice to really have a concrete (contact wooden) launch date this time round!
Stay tuned for an in-depth evaluation and unboxing round when the set releases on twentieth March 2023!
By HW Reynolds
Images offered by the BBC